Saturday, April 23, 2011

Can Cops Search Your Phone???

A debate rages on between the ACLU (who I normally disagree with) and Michigan police. Should cops be allowed to search your phone at a traffic stop?

"One way of looking at it is that phones are just like any other container. Let's say I'm stopped for speeding and the police find cocaine, and then I'm arrested for cocaine possession; the police could search my car. They could also search any duffel bags that were in my car, and let's say that I had a box of notecards--they could search that. If [an officer] can search that container of notecards, the question becomes: Can he also search my iPhone, which also contains note cards of a sort? But the other argument is that it differs completely in kind, since the type of information on the phone is so different." (http://boingboing.net/2011/04/20/aclu-to-michigan-cop.html)

I don't believe cops can search your phone. A separate warrant should be required to search your device.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment